Empowerteen is looking for “Big Sis” and “Big Bro” mentors who would like the experience of working hands on with participants in the tween and teen Empowerteen Summer Retreats. It’s such a great opportunity for individuals who are fun role models, who show leadership skills and love contributing to the larger community.
An understanding and passion for working with this population and their parents and spreading awareness about this beneficial program to the community would make you an ideal candidate.
• Each retreat week runs for 5 days (Monday through Friday) from 9am-3pm. We meet each day of the retreat week at 8:15am, at the Jenkins Estate in Beaverton, and do a follow-up meeting until 3:45pm each day.
• GUYS: There is a Boys Middle School Retreat June 17th-21st, 2019. We are looking for some great guys between 17-26 years old to mentor these tween boys (they’re 11-14 yrs old). You will get 39 hours of volunteer or internship credit for this experience, plus a letter of recommendation. More hours available upon request.
• GALS: There are 4 weeks of retreats for tween/teen girls that run July 22nd – August 16th, 2019. You can mentor at one week or more, depending on your availability, as long as you are there every day of the retreat week to which you commit. If you are 16-18 years old you can mentor at a tween retreat (July 22-26th and/or Aug 5-9th), if you are 19-26 years old you can mentor at a tween retreat or teen retreat (July 29th-Aug 2nd and/or Aug 12-16th). You will get a minimum of 39 hours of volunteer or internship credit for this experience, plus a letter of recommendation. More hours available upon request or by participating at multiple retreats.
• We will have a 90-minute orientation and training meeting the afternoon of Saturday June 15th for the Guys, and July 20th for the Girls, with refreshments and chocolates (yes, please!) If you cannot be present in person it can be arranged that you do a Skype video or FaceTime presence. Sorry, no virtual chocolate will be available.
• Apply by sending an email of interest to [email protected]
• It’s easy, fun, and fills your heart with love!
-correspondence with staff and director about awareness of special needs for specific participants who require attention
-set up/break down yoga equipment and other learning equipment
-clean off equipment that gets dirty and help keep things tidy
-connect and communicate with participants during lessons, games, activities, and share group at the retreat
-develop camaraderie with other mentors, staff, volunteers, teachers, and director
-help adolescents realize they are valued and important and deserve kindness
-sign commitment contract, complete background check, and fill out thank you notes for all involved in events, including the participants
The ideal candidate will need to be discreet, kind, enthusiastic, non-confrontational, outgoing, have good use of judgement and good affect to work well with teens, their parents, staff, guest professionals, the director, and the public in general. Good social interaction skills in person will be vital to this role as you will be representing the program and what it stands for in the public eye. Problem-solving with the ability to think on your feet, as well as a mind for contributing to brainstorming and strategizing ideas with the program director are needed.
Good candidate will have transportation to arrive on-site to the 90 minute Saturday meeting, and to the Jenkins Estate each day of the designated retreat they have committed to attend. Will be available by phone and e-mail for updates and other communication. Can easily collaborate with other interns who will be working on event coordination, social media and website content, video and photo content.
Intern for this position will receive class credit for the work completed, or volunteer hours or community service hours, as well as letter of reference from the director, Dr. Paula Pilcher.
Do you have a passion for helping youth raise their self-esteem, reach their full potential and change the world? Join Empowerteen in its efforts today!